Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So long, farewell. Auf Weidersehen, adios.

Mary Kennon Walker was my site mate for the last year. She held my hand when I could not see. She clothed me. She fed me oranges to fight off scurvy and fed me bacon to fight off homesickness.

After two years of working with the community owned and operated savings and loan cooperative, Mary has returned to Knoxville, Tennessee where she will pursue her dream as an underwriter for a well-known insurance company.

Mary and I collaborated on a few projects in site including a photography class, a recycling workshop and a three-day workshop on domestic violence and women's rights.

Or

Mary let me stand in the room while she taught a photography class, led a recycling workshop and coordinated a three day workshop on domestic violence and women's rights.

Mary is actually a lawyer and has plans to practice law in Georgia, where coonskin hats are not required in court attire.

I wish her the best of luck. She will be missed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I will worry more about you with Mary gone.

Paulita said...

She was your rock.

Mary Kennon said...

Y'all, don't listen to him when he gets like this.

This guy didn't say much at the domestic violence charla, but he brought an indispensable pair of speakers.


And he also was great in our kid activities.